There are few industries that give you the opportunity to shape the world we live in, but a career in housebuilding provides exactly that. Cala builds over 3,000 homes a year across the UK, and as part of the Technical Team you will be involved in every stage of the build process.
You will play a vital role in the design of developments, as well as individual homes. You will help to ensure that the technical information produced to build our homes is clear, concise, and accurate. You will also visit our construction teams on site, to understand how the decisions made at design and technical stage are interpreted and carried-out by the site teams, and how they impact our customers.
Responsibilities will include:
• Attending design meetings
• Helping to manage external design consultants, monitoring the progress of designs to ensure they’re delivered on time
• Reviewing designs to ensure they meet Cala requirements in terms of aesthetics and costs, and that they meet our customers’ needs
• Assisting the Land & Planning team with new site purchases, including site investigations, structural reports, surveys etc.
• Reviewing marketing materials to ensure layouts and floor plans are correct.
• Liaising with utility providers and regulatory authorities
Cala Homes (Thames) is one of eight regional Cala businesses. The Thames team oversee Cala’s new home developments in Hampshire, Surrey, Berkshire and Dorset. This role is based at the Thames head office, located on The Causeway in Staines, with parking facilities and public transport links nearby. Here, you will be working as part of the Technical team, alongside the Land & Planning, Design, Construction, Sales & Marketing and Customer Service teams. As part of this role, you will be required to visit Cala developments and may be invited to other Cala and third-party offices for training and meetings.
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our team, you become part of an inclusive environment, with support and growth opportunities to help you realise your own dreams and aspirations. We’re a living wage employer, and provide a comprehensive package of benefits including generous holiday allowance, private health insurance, access to a holiday home, and options for flexible working.
Training & Development
This is an Apprentice level role. Formal training will be provided, and it will be tailored to you as an individual. Cala also offers personal development opportunities to support your growth, including financial support for further education.
As part of the training for this role you will gain an understanding of:
• The Cala business and our values
• Our customers and their needs
• The day-to-day practice of the design and technical teams
• Housebuilding processes, including design codes, planning obligations and other guidelines made between local authorities and land developers that affect technical/building work
• Microsoft Office, AUTOCAD, and other software required to carry out the role
The ideal candidate does not need to be knowledgeable of the construction and housing industry, but a can-do attitude is integral to a technical role. As well as this, being attentive to the little details, curious, and eager to learn are important aspects that we value. You should enjoy problem solving and finding creative solutions. Enthusiasm and interest in the built environment will be key too.
The skills we’re looking for include:
• Strong IT skills and the ability to learn new systems
• Excellent verbal and listening communication skills
• Good literacy/written skills
• Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
• A team player
You’ll join as a Technical Trainee in the Technical Department. Our hope and ambition for anyone joining Cala is to realise their own dreams and aspirations. You’ll be fully supported to grow and develop your skills, and while promotion is based on performance, there is an opportunity to progress to a Technical Assistant or Technical Coordinator. Beyond that, a career in the Technical department could see you rise to a Senior Technical Coordinator, or into a Technical Manager, Design Manager or Technical Director role.
The Cala Group is a major UK housebuilder and leading provider of desirable new homes across Scotland, the South of England & Midlands. Driven by a mission to create vibrant and sustainable new communities, our homes are characterised by exceptional design and sector-leading build quality, and we have a passion for providing our customers with a great home buying experience.
Our goal is to be the favoured employer in our industry and beyond. We encourage applications from those who want to be part of a culture where they can thrive, feel a sense of belonging and be comfortable being themselves at work.
How to apply